Tuesday, April 24, 2012



EDUC-8845-2 Learning Theory and Educational Technology

Module 4 -D.Miller


Connectivism Mindmap



How has your network changed the way you learn?
As a 21st century learner, it has become necessary to remain engaged via the use of new technologies and to strive to adapt to innovative and diffused key skills and attributes for future challenges. One must be ready to adapt to 21st century learning environment such as web-based curriculum, e-learning software, synchronous and asynchronous environments and strategies towards learning technologies the way we live with technologies. As an educational technologist scholar, I embracing the new technologies and skills that other instructors and students are experiencing outside of school.
Which digital tools best facilitate learning for you?

Because technology is a tool that can be used to help teachers facilitate learning experiences that address the diverse learning needs of all students and help them develop solid 21st century skill-sets, even the most basic level digital tools can be used to help a doctoral student of educational technology find, understand and use information. When combined with student-driven learning experiences and fueled by digital tools such as Moodle, Prezi, slideshare, Glogster EDU, Google Reader, powerpoint, Wikispaces, Voicethread, audacity and many other digital tools for learning. These technologies offer flexible learning paths and can guide the learner towards: analyzing data, texts, interactive works, generating ideas, building and sharing collections, collaborating, communicating, conducting linguistic research and managing tasks.

How do you learn new knowledge when you have questions?

.

To become a more effective learner I strive to simply keep learing. An example would be to practice learning and using a foreign language. The adage of "use-it-or-lose-it" phenomenon involves a brain process known as "pruning." Certain pathways in the brain are maintained, while other are eliminated. If you want the new information you just learned to stay put, keep practicing and rehearsing it.

I also attempt to focus on learning in more than one way. Instead of just listening to a podcast, which involves auditory learning, I find a way to rehearse the information both verbally and visually. By learning in more than one way, you’re further cementing the knowledge in your mind. As a secondary and post-secondary instructor, I often teach what I have learned to students. Educators have long noted that one of the best ways to learn something is to teach it to someone else. Another great way to become a more effective learner is to use relational learning, which involves relating new information to things that you already know. For example, if you are learning about Romeo and Juliet, you might associate what you learn about the play with prior knowledge you have about Shakespeare, the historical period in which the author lived and other relevant information. For many of us, learning typically involves reading textbooks, attending lectures or doing research in the library or on the Web. While seeing information and then writing it down is important, actually putting new knowledge and skills into practice can be one of the best ways to improve learning.

            Of course, learning isn’t a perfect process. Sometimes, I forget the details of things that I have already learned. Research suggests that you are better offer simply looking up the correct answer if unsure or have forgotten information. I have discovered that the longer I spend trying to remember the answer, the more likely I will be to forget the answer again in the future. Why? Because these attempts to recall previously learned information actually results in learning the "error state" instead of the correct response. It is also beneficial for me to recognize my learning habits and styles.
Responded to



















10 comments:

  1. Can you explain further on how you have used Glogster EDU to facilitate learning and collaboration? It appears to be a pretty fun tool with which to engage students.

    Also I tend to learn in a similar manner as you through the use of auditory, written, verbal, and application strategies. As I experience learning through several different channels, the learning becomes easier to recall and refine. You also mentioned that teaching a topic tends to help deepen one's understanding of that topic. In your experience, have you incorporated opportunities in your classes to students to teach to learn and has it been successful?

    Thanks for your insights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steven,
      I use it to promote independent problem solving by creating an adaptable and innovative learning environment for all learners, regardless of age, gender, culture or learning style. Students are encouraged to be independent, inventive problem solving and lifelong learners.

      David

      Delete
  2. I recently traveled to the Dominican Republic and it was amazing how much spanish I could easily understand while I was there. I don't use it much, so of course, it is easy to forget it. I understood about 80-90% of what was being said around me. I wish I could speak it better. Are you working on learning a new language or was that an example? If so, what language and how are you learning it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T bug; I have being reading and speaking French since high school, but lose the school set when not pressed or find a use to use this language; thus, used this as an example that fits my challenge.

      Adios and au revoir,mon ami.

      David

      Delete
  3. Hey David!

    Your comment about pruning holds very true with knowledge, especially foreign languages. I teach Spanish 1 all day to high school freshmen so I have a pretty decent command of the basics. After six courses a day talking about the same topics, I am a master at Spanish 1. That said, some of the more advanced topics I used to know such as the past subjunctive and specialized vocabulary are the sickly vines getting pruned from my memory. Sure, I know the main idea behind these concepts, but on the spot, I could not teach a class without prepping myself and reviewing what I learned many years ago.

    I think teaching only one level of Spanish has some negatives in that I do lose my advanced skills....but, I can easily find out the information I lack by talking with my colleagues, searching the internet, or using other tools I have at my fingertipss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray, appreciate the feedback; we can all fall into the gap of not being pushed to keep our skills sharp; as a doctoral student, we tend to marginalize and prioritize our skill sets to meet the demand of our brain, time, and resources; good to have a quick remedy to seeking out old or new info.

      David

      Delete
  4. I too feel I am 21st century learner and feel lucky that I can be part of this technological wave. It will be interesting to look back to our educational process after the next 20 years and see how far we have come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sherri,I don't think it will take 20 years to notice the innovation and diffusion of ed tech; hold on because it changes weekly;

    David

    ReplyDelete
  6. David. I like your mind map. Concise, and to the point. Have you had the opportunity to develop a mind map for your work with adults?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne, I have considered a variation of this concept for the adult group; what I have posted is a solid foundation and can be modified. Will pass it on when completed.

      David

      Delete